Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Waves

I shouldn't get so excited after a couple of days of good progress. I have to remember that recovery seems to come in waves. This week the wave seemed to peak on Monday. Yesterday's lull wasn't terrible. I let N go to a friend's house after school to complete an assignment. He ran in the door only to leave 15 minutes later for scouts. Thankfully, he didn't have additional homework. But it did mean that he missed his morning snack and his afternoon snack. So at 9:40 p.m. last night, he was fighting his evening snack, which was larger than usual because of his missed snacks. He said that it wasn't that he didn't want to eat something, but he was tired of everything we had at our house. We insisted. He fought back. After 30 minutes, he finally ate two ice cream sandwiches and he went to bed late.

I am so frustrated by his complaint. I shop so carefully and deliberately to refeed him. For so long he has only wanted predictable foods. He was willing to eat a variety of different things, so I was happy to stock those foods. Now he wants more variety?!?! And he complains! I'm not completely sure that it wasn't the anorexia trying out a new tactic. He seems to only want to eat food that he loves. I don't think he can stand to put calories into his body associated with something that tastes just okay. I also think he was a bit stressed about junior high registration today. We had been talking about that right before the problems with his snack occurred.

No comments: