Monday, July 27, 2009

A Question

Would you, experienced parents, answer a question?

We seem to have reached a stalemate of sorts with the anorexia. For the most part, N is eating normally. He is currently weight-restored. With growth spurts, he'll sometimes drop his weight in proportion to his height which results in a resurgence of anorexic behaviors, but usually we're on top of those drops and help him to bring his weight up as quickly as possible. He has several OCD behaviors that he just can't seem to shake. He is still quite self-conscious and is always fixating on his clothes as well as his relationships with friends. He is struggling a bit to find his identity (but I really attribute that more to his age).

Will we just be maintaining this stalemate indefinitely? Is that what recovery from anorexia looks like? Or will there be a cessation of these low level issues as he matures and stops growing? Is there more we can do to eliminate the current stalemate?

4 comments:

Ari J. Brattkus said...

Is your s seeing a therapist? Since my d's weight restoration, therapy has been very helpful. She is really able to examine her behaviors and her food issues in a real way now, and she is learning methods for dealing with her natural anxieties. Also the therapist helps her with issues of friendships...

Ari J. Brattkus said...

Hey Wendy,
I think you should post this question to the gang at ATDT -- I'm sure all the people who have gone thru this phase will chime in with ideas. Hope you are doing ok.
Erica

Wendy said...

Erica -
I think you're right. I bet they'll have some insights. Thanks!

Carrie Arnold said...

Wendy,

I'm not a parent, but I also have AN and OCD, and I know the bizarre interplay that these symptoms can have. I found that my AN certainly exacerbated the OCD and that refeeding has helped me be more flexible, but I still have plenty of issues with routine, etc.

CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) is really the gold standard for both EDs and OCD, and there are websites where you can look for a good CBT therapist. Check out www.ocfoundation.org for a good place to start.