Friday, July 10, 2009

Scout Camp 2009

N just returned from this year's scout camp. This year the leaders planned a local trip for just the 11 or so boys in our congregation. N had a fabulous time! He fished, shot arrows and shotguns, rode a tube down a river, went rock climbing and even repelled. I love that the leaders also included religious discussions nightly.

We donated 60+ candy bars like we did last year. We sent them to make sure that N always had something to eat, which apparently was not a problem at all. His leaders said that N ate well the entire time. N did say that he struggled the first few days with feeling ultra self-conscious. He coped, I think, by relying on some OCD comforts, which is too bad, but typical.

Now, if I could only get him to take a shower! He is so dirty that he literally has dirt caked on the back of his neck.

2 comments:

Ari J. Brattkus said...

Sounds like he had a great time!!! I always remember those wonderful returning-home-after-camp showers. So much dirt would go down the drain!

Wendy said...

Thanks Erica -

Some of what I thought was dirt, was actually a tan. It is very irregular on his neck because he was so dirty, I think.