Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Mystery Illness Baffles Doctors

I was amazed to read this story this afternoon. My initial thought was PANDAS. Someone else suggested Sydenham's Chorea, which I looked up and read about (similar to PANDAS but has more latent time between the strep infection and onset of symptoms). As I read about Sydenham's Chorea and the mention of connections with strep/rheumatic fever as well as OCD behavior, I keep thinking that all of this is somehow connected to and similar to the development of anorexia.

I am flabbergasted about how the doctors have just brushed these girls away and called their reactions, "stress." Sounds like similar things we've all experienced with doctor's flawed reactions about and the subsequent flawed treatment of anorexia.

http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/17/10173998-teen-girls-medical-mystery-baffles-doctors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydenham's_chorea

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My child is recovering from Sydenham's Chorea- they do see strep as being linked to anorexia and hair pulling. Beth Alison Maloney has a Facebook page and a website. She wrote a book called, Saving Sammy. It has taken my six year old a year to recover from SC. Grateful for antibiotics. Keep up the good work you are doing for your son.