Saturday, November 1, 2008

Skipping Breakfast

Getting up on time isn't a characteristic that N has developed yet. Last Sunday, he was planning to join his youth group at a local developmental center (for older patients) to present a sacrament service. Unfortunately, he didn't get up at 6:00, 6:20, 6:40 or 7:10 when he was reminded. I think he stumbled into the shower at 7:25. He asked me to drive him to our church at 8:00 (he was supposed to be there at 7:30). After I explained that they had already left him, I drove him to the center and he eventually found his group.

Well, in the process he skipped breakfast. It's amazing to me how much of a difference that missing one meal makes. They didn't get back until almost 12:00 and we were in our own sacrament service by then. So, he ran home and ate and then joined us for Sunday School. But by then, the anorexia was extremely strong and overall it was a long day for him and us. He fought low self-image and eating issues all day long. Monday morning was better, but still difficult.

On the first Sunday of each month we fast (don't eat) for 2 meals. We donate the cost of the meals we would have eaten to feed the poor. N was instructed immediately after he was diagnosed with anorexia that he could no longer fast. I've been wanting to ask if he might be ready to try fasting again, but now I know the answer. I won't even ask. I wonder if he'll ever be able to fast again.

No comments: