Monday, June 2, 2008

Summer

It's our first official day of summer, today. I like the idea of the lazy days of summer, but I'm not a fan of kids sitting around all day watching tv. So, I've set up loose schedules for my kids. Really, they have a lot of say in what happens and when. I don't think that there are too many expectations:

*Make bed and straighten room.
*15 minutes of guitar practice.
*15 minutes of writing or math.
*20 minutes of reading.
*10 minutes reading to 2 year-old brother.
*One work assignment each day (dusting, weeding, etc.).
*Help clean up dinner dishes (sweep, clear or load).

We limit "media" time to 1 1/2 hours. So really that should leave hours and hours of free time each day. But N has already taken until 2:15 today to complete his list. Both meals have been rough. He is resisting and restricting. I think it will just take some time to set up new routines and expectations. I can already feel the tension in my shoulders.

No comments: