N is getting ready to start junior high (in one month). I got a draft of his schedule this week and was concerned about two things. First, his beginning classes of each day are both "core" classes - history and science (they have an alternating day schedule). Second, his load is heavier for the first semester and much lighter for the second semester. My son says that he is not concerned about it, but I am. It was such a rough year last year. I'm worried about him being late to school all the time. I'm also worried about the stress of a particularly heavy load. I'm debating about how much to interfere. His counselor at the junior high has the attitude that everyone wants an exception to everything -- so she is skeptical of us (smiles a lot, says the right things, but doesn't actually do anything). We don't have a 504. I know we could force the issue if we did have one, but I'm trying to avoid having it on his permanent record.
After thinking about it for a couple of days, I decided to intervene with my son's junior high schedule. There are other accommodations that we've already made that are similarly invasive, and I decided that this was also worth doing something about. N doesn't know what junior high is like -- I'm not sure how he could make the best decision when he doesn't really have a clue. I've emailed his counselor. We'll see if she'll do anything for us. I hope so. I really don't want it to be a huge battle.
We already passed up a chance for our family to live in London for 6 months. The timing would have coincided with N's first semester in high school. We felt like it would be problematic in his adjusting into high school. It seems that stress and anxiety are huge factors with his anorexia. I'd like to keep things pretty even until he copes better -- and I had no idea where he'd be mentally in three years. It was so tough to pass up that opportunity.