Friday, February 8, 2008

A New Problem

I feel like we've gone back in time. N is restricting like crazy today. It has been building since yesterday. He is refusing to eat his breakfast -- even refusing to sit at the table. It doesn't matter what I say, he responds, "no." Obviously, I can't make him eat or sit at the table. But we won't be going anywhere until he finishes.

He hasn't done this since the first week of refeeding. I have a rising hypothesis as to why this is happening. I think it is because he heard the doctor and nutritionist say that his current weight is fine. So, he thinks he is done gaining weight. He hasn't gained any weight over the past 3 weeks. We need to continue the same diet just to maintain his weight.

I've added some calories to his diet (because he is eliminating them again everywhere that he can get away with it). He is fighting back hard. And I have no credibility.

I've read, however, so many stories of families who stop their child's weight gain prematurely, which eventually leads to relapse. I think 90 lbs (per the doctor's scale -- mine says 87.5 lbs) is still way too low for his body. Clearly, his anorexic thoughts and behaviors are still prevailing. I'm not sure what to do about this. We don't meet with those same doctors again until March. And even then, I'm not sure that they will agree about the additional weight gain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Follow your gut and make it clear that you won't allow AN Beast to let him starve...take control-he is sick and needs full nourishment, full time-for maybe a while! You can a
Will do it! Your site is cool and you are a strong lady! So do it! Thanks!