Thursday, December 13, 2007

A Team!

Finally, I've found some medical support for my son. My friend's search for some resources at our local children's hospital was successful. She found an outpatient clinic for follow-up nutrition. This clinic is managed by a highly rated pediatric MD & Gastroenterologist and supported with nutritionist and dietitians. Each Thursday, they focus the clinic on eating disorders.

The doctor (Dr. J) personally called me tonight to assess my son's needs. He felt like we have turned a corner with the weight gain over the past month -- and that the immediate crisis is over. He was so reassuring that I was doing well with N (so good to hear) and that I was doing all the right things. I'll be setting up appointments for January -- a ways off but better than March (which is what they initially told me). I think we'll visit with a dietitian which will cost us about $125 or more. But Dr. J (this new doctor) felt like it would be important to reinforce to our son what is important in terms of calories and weight goals. We'll also do a medical evaluation which is much needed in my opinion. I think N is doing well medically. But I also think it's important to have an appropriate medical resource for treating the anorexia. Dr. J called the clinic a nutritional home base. I finally feel like we're filling up N's treatment holes.

Dr. J talked about addressing N's stress and anxiety. I know that he has some problems with these things, but I really don't want to medicate him. I feel like it would be far more productive to teach him how to manage that stress and anxiety. I know there are times for medication, but I don't feel like this is the time. I'd like to see us restore his nutrition and weight first.

I was surprised to find out that Dr. J had heard of the Maudsley Method. He's the first one so far. I felt like he completely supported and approved of this method of treatment. He was anxious to restore N to weight and full nutrition.

No comments: