Friday, January 25, 2008

Update

It ended up being a 4 1/2 hour episode. He talked to his Dad for 30 minutes, but didn't make a turn around like he has in the past. He finally made it to school at lunch time. The turn around? I told him we could buy him some new shirts. He wanted to go NOW. There was no way I was going to reinforce his behavior from this morning by letting him go shopping instead of going to school. So, I told him maybe after school if I could get all my chores done (which I wasn't being able to address while I was helping him). So all of a sudden, he was motivated to go to school. It still took him an additional 30 minutes after that, but he was trying and moving instead of languishing. I'm not sure buying shirts will solve the problem. I suspect that next time the anorexia will tell him that those shirts aren't good enough either. But I'm willing to give it a try. He did feel better about his clothes after we got the last batch of shirts. I'm concerned about it being such an extrinsic fix.

Now to get those calories back up . . .

No comments: